For many people, a body transformation is high up on their goals of things to achieve this year.
There are many benefits to using a personal trainer, and one of them is that they will provide you with a customised workout plan.
This is a plan that is tailored to your body and your needs and will help keep you pushing on and reaching your targets.
But how does a personal trainer create a plan? And are they important?
Let’s take a look.
The Importance of a Plan
When it comes to losing weight or building muscle, there are no shortcuts.
If there was, we would all be wandering around with bulging biceps and chest muscles.
A fitness journey takes months, and the results don’t appear overnight.
Having a workout plan is crucial to making sure you stay on track and don’t stray off course. It makes planning your workouts efficient and avoids wasted workouts where you spend too much deciding which exercise to do.
It also keeps you motivated and accountable, which are important aspects of a fitness journey.
One of the biggest factors that makes a plan so important is that it makes sure you are doing the right amount of exercise. It can be tempting to push yourself too far and get an injury or do workouts that aren’t pushing yourself enough.
With a customised workout plan, you will incrementally increase your exercises, letting them rise in line with your fitness levels so you are always pushing yourself just the right amount.
Factors Considered when Creating the Plan
There are many factors considered when conjuring up a workout plan, including:
- Age – There’s no denying working out can feel tougher as we get older, so our plans must reflect this.
- Body composition – This will look into the current shape of your body, analysing how much muscle and fat you have. Knowing this will give a good indication of your fitness level and how slowly to build your workout extremity.
- Your Needs – Different people hire a personal trainer for different results. You may be training for a marathon, looking to become a body-builder, or simply wanting to lose a bit of fat. Whatever your needs, the customised plan will be built around them.
- Your Flexibility – I’m not talking about yoga here, but instead your time flexibility. Do you have hours to spend working out every day, or does it have to be done in 30-minute slots?
- Health Risks – if you have any underlying health issues that may change the way you have to exercise, or any injuries that have led to weak parts of your body that need to be treated carefully, these must be taken into account.
- Overall Fitness Levels – You will be tested on your cardiovascular fitness as well as some other aspects to work out the level you’re at now for your workouts.
Steps in Building a Customised Workout Plan
So, now you know what aspects are considered when formulating a workout plan, just what steps are taken when it is being made.
Step 1: Fitness Assessment
Everything starts with an initial assessment.
This will involve the personal trainer evaluating how fit you are and how prepared you are to jump into a workout routine.
Some actions that may take place here are body composition measurements, cardiovascular and muscular examinations, and range of motion tests.
You will also be asked about any injuries and potential health risks that may arise from exercising.
Step 2: Setting Goals
Once the assessment is done, it is time to sit down with your trainer and work out what you really want to achieve.
Your fitness goals may be related to weight loss, muscle gains, or overall health improvements, but you must be specific when you inform your trainer of your desires so that they can work with what you have told them and build the ideal plan for you.
This is an important part, and the personal trainer will spend a long time creating goals that will push you, but are also achievable in the given timeframe.
Step 3: Designing a Plan
Based on the first two steps, the trainer will now start working on a workout plan customised for you.
This will involve specific exercises, targeting various muscle groups and working to improve cardiovascular health.
No plan will be the same, and a client’s fitness levels and goals will be taken into account when a plan of varied workouts is formulated.
Typically, the plan will begin with balanced workouts that target numerous sections of the body, but this will again depend on the client.
Other aspects of fitness may also be mentioned in the workout plan, including nutrition, form, and what to eat for clients who are looking to lose weight, for example.
Step 4: Monitor Progress and Adjust Accordingly
Once the workout plan is in place and the exercises are underway, the personal trainer will constantly be checking in with the client to make sure progress is being made.
If adjustments need to be made, either increasing or decreasing the intensity of the workouts, then this can be done, and tweaks can be made to the plan to make it just right over time.
It is important that as a client you are open and honest with a personal trainer. For example, if you are starting to feel pain, let your trainer know straight away so they can remove workouts that put pressure on the injured area, and focus on letting it heal before exercising it again.
What Does a Customised Workout Plan Look Like?
A customised workout plan will go day by day throughout the various weeks of your body transformation.
On the days you are exercising, there will be three sections:
- Warming Up – This is vital for preparing the body and avoiding injuries during your workout.
- The Exercise – This is the main part of the plan and will be tailored towards your needs and fitness levels. There will be a number of various exercises spread out throughout the workout.
- Cooling Down – This is another important part of looking after your body and will be paramount in helping your muscles recover from exercise and heal, ready to go again tomorrow.
There will also be rest days spread throughout the week. Most plans will have around two or three of these per week, depending on the intensity of the workouts, and these are vital for letting your body recover so although it may be tempting, they must not be skipped.
As mentioned earlier, nutrition is an important aspect of a body transformation, so there may also be information on food and even planned meals within your plan to help in this regard.
Personal Training with Trojan Fitness
We will create a tailored workout plan that will help you achieve your goals and get the body you desire.
Want to know more? Then get in touch today.
Alternatively, if you’re a personal trainer looking to rent a PT studio, then we also now offer this service.